Monday, January 14, 2013

day 3

Today I walked into fine art room 308 and sat down. Then I got up and sat closer to the front of the class. Then our professor asked us to organize ourselves by birth date...
So I moved one seat to my left.
The point of rearranging ourselves was an exercise in problem-solving.
I think there's a moment in these group exercises when you realize who's going to lead.  The first second, everyone looks at one another like, "duhhhh" (myself included). And then certain members of the group think to themselves that this group may be big, but someone needs to take initiative. So then, about 1 in 5 people will start making suggestions and taking the reigns, some more politely than others.

Another problem-solving exercise was putting our comics in order of "best" to "worst" in 20 minutes. I hope this exercise didn't ruin anyones day.
We began by making a list of criteria for what would make a comic "the best." And then we didn't follow those criteria at all.
We ended up each getting five tallies and whichever comic had the most, won.
This is probably the best we could do in the time we were given. We definitely didn't have time to read every single comic, so we all went with what looked the best.
This one was a little frustrating, for everyone it seemed. I put my two sense in initially, then I just took a nap under the desks.

Next exercise! Make a script with found objects, 20 minutes, groups of six... GO!

Our story took place on a house boat for someone's birthday where the birthday girl was murdered. It was a murder/suspense/mystery/thriller/comedy of course.
We had a lot of fun in that 20 minutes, but I wish I would've taken notes a tad better and that someone in our group didn't interrupt with silly ideas so often. I mean, this is a murder/suspense/mystery/thriller/comedy... let's get serious, man.
However, I think it actually made it funnier that we had so little time and were basically on the spot. We looked like a bunch of Jimmy Fallons on SNL.
Some groups worked better together than others. We were probably in the middle.
I was actually exhausted during this last exercise. Like my brain didn't want to interact and solve problems anymore. Apparently I need to drink more coffee for this class.







No comments:

Post a Comment